onsdag 9 september 2009

Gibberd garden, Harlow Essex


Frederick Gibberd, architect, dead 1984 has created his private garden intuitively. Not many knows about his special sculpture garden in Essex, quite close to Stansted.

Click here for homepage.

Visited the garden by chance this summer. I was on my way back to Sweden via Stansted which is close to Harlow, and my GPS showed me the way to the garden. It was closed of course. But I was lucky. I telephoned a number and out from a little visiting house comes a lady who was there administrating the business - she was one of those admirable volonteers, who work freely to save gardens.

I had information from her, and coffee!! Then she let me walk around in the garden by my self. It is quite big, with a creek and woodlands. I had a great time photographing everything magical and the 80 sculptures, place on magic spots all over. The gardener who I found with her dog, she showed me the fantastic exhibition of sir Gibberds house. And then she offered me...coffee! i said yes, since I´m a real coffeinist.

It was a very special garden experience. Not cottage-styled at all. Just very personal and in-its-own. Gibberd has said that gardening is "Art in space". I really like that expression.

back to my Swedish garden blogg, click here.

Inga kommentarer: